Answering Your Common Questions About Door Closers

Have a question about a door closer? We’re here to help answer it.

Below, you will find a few commonly asked questions about door closers. We did our best to answer them, but our team of door hardware professionals is here to help if you still have questions.

P.S. We sell some of the best commercial door closers from top brands like Norton and Yale.

What are door closers called?

You may hear a door closer referred to as a closer or a door opener. To put it simply, it’s just called a door closer. There is no memorable, unique name for it unless you’re breaking it down by type, which brings us to our next question.

What are the different types of door closers?

There are two main types of door closers: manual and automatic. Within those two categories are different styles of closers. There are several unique styles of interior door closers: surface-mounted, regular arm, parallel arm, spring hinge, self-closing hinge, top jamb mount, etc.  

How do door closers work?

Hydraulic and pneumatic door closers use damp vibrations (dampers) to allow the door to swing slowly open or closed. If you would like to know more from a technical perspective and nerd out on vibrations, you can read up on vibration reduction.

Is hydraulic better than pneumatic?

Not necessarily. Both hydraulic and pneumatic door closers have their strengths. The former is more robust and best suited for heavy doors, while the latter is usually cheaper and more suited for lightweight doors.

How do I know what type of door closer to buy?

To know what style of door closer you should purchase, you must first exami